Saturday, May 2, 2009

Week 15: A Reflection

Having the opportunity to be emerged in an elementary school classroom was great. This past semester taught me a lot about working at an elementary school, and it is still something I'd really like to do. Being in a music classroom was different and I think it was basically what I expected. It was a good experience, but I don't think I want to teach music. I'd much rather teach at a grade level (kindergarten through 3rd really).
Through this experience of interning in this elementary school, I've learned a lot. I was given a chance to see the classroom first hand and practice classroom management. I was able to see problems arise between the students and teachers and how those situations were handled. A was able to help with putting on a big production- the annual talent show. I directly assisted Ms. Vining in creating props and helping on stage the night of the show. There is a lot of work involved!
I figured out that I'd like to teach a certain grade level. I was able to interact with every grade level and saw which ones I had the best experience with (K-3rd). I gained critical classroom management skills and was given great advice from my mentor teacher about teaching.
Overall, I feel like it was a very positive experience, and it makes me very excited about my future classroom. I can't wait to get started teaching, but first- certification!

1 comment:

  1. Glad that you had such a positive experience. I am sure that you will make an excellent teacher. I will get your letter out for you in the near future!

    ReplyDelete