Sunday, March 8, 2009

Week 7

Right now I am interning in a music classroom, which basically means I am observing and helping my mentor teacher with tasks around her classroom. I can't see myself as an intern in the future, I'd much rather be the teacher. I'm not so sure about teaching music, but teaching a general classroom would be something I'd like to do. Right now, I get to see things behind the scenes, and how the classroom looks from the teacher's perspective. This is a great opportunity to see the classroom and interact with it, without having too much responsibility so you may really pay attention to the tasks at hand.
The thing I don't like about this internship is the responsibility factor. My teacher is a person who likes to handle everything herself. So, even when she does ask me to do something, she'll come along and ends up taking the task away from me and doing it herself. I promise it's not me. I've had plenty of experience helping teachers in the classroom, making visual aides, grading papers, organizing rooms, etc. She doesn't like anyone doing things for her, because I suppose she sees things in a certain way of how they should be done. It's pretty frustrating. She's said it herself, that she's a "Control freak", I just don't think she realizes how much of one she is. I'm a very creative person, and I've had a lot of experience in many areas of education. She knows this, I've told her and I remind her when she tells me about something she needs to get done. She complains to me all the time, about how busy she is and how many things she needs to do. It's only because she doesn't delegate, or let anyone help her.
The skills I am learning are mostly in the area of classroom management. One of my biggest fears is that I'll let the class walk all over me, that they won't listen to me. Having a firm hand in school is important, finding a balance in when you should be relaxed and when you need to get things under control is the key.
As of right now, I believe working in an educational setting would be ideal for me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I get frustrated by people like your mentor who try to control and micromanage everything. Is there a way that you can help teach her to trust others? That by trusting you, you will intern help to relieve her stress. Also, part of the point of the internship is for you to gain some hands on experience. Can you maybe come right out and ask her if you could teach a lesson?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    To piggy back on Ms. Hirshorn's comment, communication is key. It seems as though you've already tried asking her if she needs a hand and informing her of your talents and how much help you can be, but she is either too scared or is literally a 'control freak'.

    Scared because she doesn't want to be the one without full control, but also because she would see somebody else taking over the position she's been holding for so long. Not sure if she is, but older people are especially concerned for retirement and mentoring younger future-teachers because they don't want to sacrifice or lose everything they've worked so hard for. ("Everything" being that she receives the respect, appreciation or the satisfaction of being an educator and watching the kids comprehend the curriculum because of HER direction.)

    If the above doesn't seem very familiar or that it wouldn't fit her personality, she may be even more difficult to persuade or convince of your abilities than you have time for with the short semester ahead.

    In either case, I would definitely recommend communicating with her after class one day without the students around. Maybe bring a couple examples forth and explain that as much as you want to help make her life easier (while at the same time, learn from your experience) you are there for an education. In order to receive the guidance and trust that it takes to learn from your internship, she needs to compromise and find a way to make your position one that can be eventually be considered as an adequate preparation for the future.

    It's a tough situation.... I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete